I KNOW that asking you to read this is like asking you to poke yourself in the eyes a few times.
It may sting. It may hurt. It may make you cry.
But. After spotting a mangy little dog digging through a garbage can the other day (while on a walk with my well-fed, maybe over-fed, chocolate lab), I felt sick to my stomach and immediately thought of this email someone sent me.
And it's the exact reason why we have a stocking hanging on our Mantle with our dog, Reilly's name on it, soon to be filled with treats. She has no clue what day of the week it is or that it's a holiday. She only knows that we are home, and she can lay by our feet.
So here's to all of our beloved pets out there:
A PET'S TEN COMMANDMENTS.........
1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.
2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.
3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.
4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.
5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.
6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.
7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.
8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.
9. Please take care of me when I grow old - remember, you too, will grow old.
10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me, please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.
So be sure to hug your pet today ;-)