PART TWO (part ONE is right below this post):
6. Listening to SARA ZARR speak. Here's a recap of her speech on the SCBWI blog.
The part that really moved me was hearing Sara say she missed the kind of writing that happened when she had nothing at all to lose. When no agent, editor or bookstore had her book yet. When she just wrote for the pure and all-consuming JOY of it.
Because after that, the stakes suddenly become higher.
Remember that very first time you opened a blank Word document and just started writing?
7. Laughing hysterically during RL Stine's speech. He is so dang funny and self-deprecating. And I have a stack of his books from my teaching days that I can't wait for my son to read! When he's brave enough-- MWUHAHAHA!
8. Brunch with my agent. We met me at my favorite breakfast place in the East Village. It was a richer experience than talking on the phone, and I'm so glad we made it happen.
9. Being alone in my hotel room, in a giant bed, without a six a.m. alarm blaring or cries of "Mommy". Did I sleep well? Not at all (but I tried)! :-D
10. John's Pizza in Midtown. One of my favorite pizza places in NYC!
HAVE A FANTASTIC WEEKEND!